I recently came across this recipe in Southern Living and think it's a winner. These infused liquors preserve perfectly in swing-top bottles. Check this one out!
- 1 qt canning jar for mixing
- 1 pitcher for straining solids
- 1-liter swing-top bottle to store liquor
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, chopped
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle bourbon
- 1/4 cup Simple Syrup
How to Make It
- Step 1: Place first 3 ingredients in a 1-qt. canning jar. Add bourbon; cover with metal lid, and screw on band. Let bourbon stand at room temperature 4 days.
- Step 2: Shake jar to distribute flavors. Pour bourbon mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a pitcher, discarding solids. Stir in Simple Syrup, and funnel into a clean 1-liter swing-top bottle. Store in refrigerator up to 2 months.
- TRY THIS TWIST: Orange-, Clove-, and Cranberry-Infused Bourbon: Omit apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Place 2 (2-inch) orange rind strips, 8 whole cloves, and 1 cup lightly crushed fresh or frozen cranberries in a 1-qt. canning jar. Add bourbon; cover with metal lid, and screw on band. Let bourbon stand at room temperature 4 days. Proceed with recipe as directed in Step 2